4.04.2014

'HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER' FINALE

If you are reading this, and you are already on my Facebook, you would have known how affected I was with the finale. Just affected is an understatement, really. Pretty close to devastated, probably.

You see, I've watched it from Season One and I admit, I was on the Ted-Robin shipping bandwagon and then those two, or more specifically Robin, got so confused about her relationship with Ted. I do realize that Robin was Ted's first love and all. I acknowledged that fact. Which is why I was so upset that things didn't work out between them. But just like how it applies to reality, things don't always work out with certain people, and that's okay. That's just life. So I convinced myself that, well, those two were better off as best friends and Ted should move on, which he did - this is where the Mother comes in.


So, I crossed out Ted and Robin with a big fat 'X', got over it, and then the writers decided to pull a Barney-Robin love line which I loved. Honestly, I felt that they were more suited for each other. More so than if Robin was with Ted. Barney ditched his Playbook for her. He changed. He matured. Robin could accept the person he was. That epic proposal which Barney thought hard of. How Robin felt when he was close to marrying Quinn. How despite it all she ended up marrying Barney - even though at the last moment she thought of Ted - which just shows how fickle-minded Robin actually is. God, was that how it has been all these while? Despite that, they circled the entire final season on Robin and Barney's wedding, only to have it end in just 5 minutes of the finale. Utter bullshit. Cheated is not even close to describing how I felt.

I am fine with the Mother dying. It was hinted a couple of episodes earlier so I was mentally prepared for it. It does makes sense too because throughout the whole 9 seasons, it seemed like Ted was telling his story to his kids without their Mother's significant presence.

Though we only saw her for a season, I loved the way the writers executed their tiny incidences, where and when they could have met, how they were so close in proximity and how they missed each other by just the slightest step. It linked and clicked so well, I really thought that part was brilliant. Brilliantly pieced together. They were so.. fated, that it was pretty unrealistic (let's face it) but then again, we are all suckers for such things.

It should have ended at the train station at Farhampton. Where Ted saw the Mother on the platform, holding that significant Yellow Umbrella. How they had a cute banter on their initials, T.M.

That was how it should have ended. Only then, would the ending have been perfect.

Which brings me to this point - I am glad I saw an alternative ending to the finale, created by a fan, who like many other million of fans out there, must be the one that share the same sentiments as me regarding the ending. Thanks to a friend, who showed me this video:



Yep, my life is whole again.

1 comment:

  1. I FEEL YOU SO MUCH THERE, BABE!
    its like you penned my exact thoughts about HIMYM Finale.

    ReplyDelete